Monday, January 19, 2009

James and the Giant Peach


One of my New Year's goals is to read more classic childhood books to the girls. So as of last week, we have begun reading "James and the Giant Peach". So far they love it. I also came across a study guide on the web (http://www.theatreworksusa.org/uploads/studyguide/studyguide_785.pdf) that gives suggestions for projects and activities to do for after seeing the performance of the book (which we will do the beginning of May). These activities can actually be done along with the reading if desired. We've talked about what it would smell, taste, feel, look, and sound like to be inside a peach. We've also wondered if a peach would really float or if it would sink (an experiment we plan to do very soon). The girls are so excited to read the book and see the play...It's been a great addition of our daily routine.
If any of you have any other suggestions for books I should read to them then please leave a comment. I would greatly appreciate it!

2 comments:

KC and DL said...

How fun! I was just thinking about that book today and trying to remember if it would be a good one for my kids. We recently enjoyed Charlotte's Web. I'm really looking forward to reading Little House on the Prairie Books to my girls, but I'm not sure if they are ready yet. LOVE the study guide idea. We are totally going to have to do that!

Allee Family Blog said...

Charlotte's Web is a great book. We'll have to read that one too. And I have never read the Little House on the Prairie Books before. Have you read them? If so, when's a good age to do that? By the way, thanks for the ideas!