Monday, January 12, 2009

The Things Kids Don't Know

We were eating breakfast this morning at the table when Kourtney put her hands over her ears and said, "Mom, can you hear me?"

I tried not to laugh as she repeated herself a couple more times. Finally I said, "Yes, Kourtney. Of course I can hear you. I'm not putting MY hands over MY ears."

Innocently she replied, "But I'm putting MY hands over MY ears," which naturally only got me smiling again.

Ironically, or maybe even heaven sent, Kourtney spontaneously began to sing "I Am a Child of God" at breakfast shortly following this experience. Kourtney cracked me up this morning, but also got me thinking about how many basic temporal and spiritual principles she will need to learn, especially as a little child, and how it's mostly our responsibility as parents to teach our children.

What a great work we have to do...Sometimes it seems too great of a task to take on, but then a moment such as this morning's happens and it occurs to me that it's more of a privilege than an overwhelming challenge.

No comments: