Thursday, October 1, 2009

Not Normal

OK, today while I was mowing the lawn I was thinking about something Jessica and I were talking about last night on our date. She was worried about not being ready for Keegan's birth in a few weeks (or tomorrow--so she thinks). See, Jessica is not normal. She doesn't do the birthing thing normally. She uses hypnotherapy.



Normal births, at least in our generation, involve two doctors. An OB and an anesthesiologist. Well, we only use one of those. I was thinking about my responsibility to be ready to help Jessica (basically hypnotize her) and how non-normal that is. I quickly realized Jessica is not normal...she is not ordinary. Rather, she is exceptional...so extraordinary.

Everything this woman does is amazing. Three kids, one more (at least) to go, and all done naturally. Most women like to simplify things before they have a new baby (especially for number four), Jessica adopts a 120 lb shedding, drooling, and "doing other messy and time consuming things" dog a couple weeks before the baby's birth. Even with her husband suggesting, advising, and close to begging her not to do so.



Some ladies like to do a couple of things to the house when they are about to give birth. Jessica does everything to the house before her child is born. Everything. I have no idea what Jessica's mom is going to when she gets out here for Keegan's birth (except watch the other kiddos for us).

Those are just the non-normal things she has done this past few weeks. Our whole 10+ years of marriage she has been special. She is the most loyal and devoted person I have ever met. If you are her friend then you can expect her loyalty and devotion. If you are her husband, you get more!!! She is an exceptional mother. When I see her play with the kids or even reprimand and teach the kids I realize that I hit the jackpot. Spiritually this woman doesn't have any flaws. The normal things that set normal people (like me) back spiritually don't even phase her. Man, I feel I could go on for ever. I will save you all from a 10 page blog entry.



To finish my thoughts from this afternoon, I guess the thing I focused on the most while mowing the lawn today though is her extraordinary understanding of how much I have been struggling since my mom died. I have been difficult to be around. I know that because I don't even like to be around myself much lately. However, she has worked tirelessly to try to make me feel better and to make it easier for me to be alone. She has encouraged me to deal with my grief and encouraged me to seek help. She was by my side for it all and left me alone when I needed it. In short, she has been the perfect friend.

I don't know why I didn't just write this in a more personal card and give it to her tonight (after she gets back from her Primary Presidency meeting). I guess I wanted her parents to see this and let them know what a great job they did with her. How lucky I feel to have her. I wanted her sisters, friends, and even new acquaintances to know that if they were wondering why Jessica sticks out so much to them (besides the red hair) in their lives it was because she is not normal. She is exceptional. We meet normal people everyday. Statistically speaking, 95% of all the people that we meet each day are "normal" and therefore, not extraordinary. Not my wife. Not now and I am guessing (more like predicting) not ever. So if you see her or talk to her this week or this month make sure to tell her what she should already know, but deserves to hear from all of us that are around her. Tell her that she is a freak!!! :) In a good way. Also, if you could, invite her to take a break and leave some of the work to us normal, ordinary folk. We need the practice to try to close the distance.

4 comments:

Martha said...

So sweet, Kris!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just wish we were in close enough proximity to experience more of her extraodinary-ness!! Best wishes with the upcoming arrival of your little boy!!

love,
martha

The Lowe Family said...

Kris (and Jessica),
I couldn't agree more!! Jessica is an amazing person. In just the little while I got to know her in Bloomington I was truly impressed by the power AND sweetness of her spirit. I want to be like you when I grow up Jessica!! Congratulations on your new baby boy. He is a doll.
Kristin Lowe

The Jimenez Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Jimenez Family said...

Ok...just teared up a bit...sniff! sniff! So sweet!! But oh so true. I've always had a special bond with you, Jessica, and I'm so glad we're friends. I too want to become more like you. You're so wonderful with your girls and it's amazing to me how you find enough time for not only them, but for couple time and me time for yourself as well!! You ARE wonder woman! Keegan is going to be the easiest birth of them all, by the way. You're awesome and I love you so dearly! And Kris, you're pretty awesome too! Jessica's a lucky lady. Hang in there, you're doing great! We're thinking of you and your family and you are all in our prayers.

Love,
Audrey