Saturday, February 7, 2009

Heart Hop

Last night Alyson's school held a dance called "The Heart Hop" for students and their families. While Alyson and Kourtney had a great time dancing, I on the other hand, was having a healthy dose of reality that I have daughters old enough to dance to many of songs I danced to (I should say attempted to dance to) when I was younger. Talk about feeling old!

For instance, the D.J. played three songs that echoed throughout the gym at stake and high school dances when I was a teenager: 1.) Macarena 1993, 2.) Cotton-Eyed Joe 1994, and 3.)YMCA 1978. Yes, I know you all remember these songs, and probably even when the first two mentioned here came out. Now imagine, if you haven't witnessed this already, your children dancing to these songs, and actually knowing the movements to Macarena and YMCA. Well, that is what I witnessed last night. Alyson apparently learned most of the moves to Macarena in gym class. Then it took her no time to learn how to move to YMCA when it played last night.

I realized even more so as I watched them that there is no stopping time. It will just keep moving at the speed of lightening. Soon enough my girls WILL be attending youth dances, and dancing to songs that mark their generation. Still, they have a lot of growing and maturing to do before then. There's so much for them to look forward to that I can't help but be happy for them.

AND...I am so grateful, judging from their dance moves last night, that they have better rhythm than I do!

Here are two videos from last night. The first one shows Kourtney jamming away, the second is of Alyson doing the YMCA. Her teacher (me) was slightly impaired as I held baby Ellary in one hand and the camera in the other while I tried to show her how to make a "C". Kourtney, by this time was getting so tired. We were there for about an hour and half. Needless to say, they slept very well last night!

No comments: