Sunday, February 22, 2009

Little Sick Child


Ellary developed a night cough about a month ago that progressively got worse. I took her to the doctor a few weeks ago who said it was a viral infection and to check back in with him if her cough got worse. Well, she began to cough so much and so hard on Thursday night that Ellary couldn't keep her milk down. Then Friday morning it happened all over again. The poor little girl was miserable! Instead of waiting around for her 3:15 appointment, I took her right in to InstaCare. The doctor diagnosed Ellary with bronchitis and an ear infection and said we should notice some improvement within three days.

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT ELLARY WAS GETTING BETTER...I layed her down for a mid-morning nap today and the poor babe kept coughing and coughing. I ran upstairs and just after I pulled her up over the edge of the crib, she projectile vomited all over me, on my mouth, on my chin, in my hair, down my shirt...Luckily the milk hadn't settled too much in her tummy so it didn't smell as bad as it could have and her clothes were unscathed! In that moment of disgust, as I peered into the eyes of a non-coughing and relieved baby, I thought about a memory I have of my mom holding my dear niece who had just vomited and how my mom, being a sympathetic puker, threw up too...Good thing my mom wasn't me at this precise moment or the mess would have been atrocious!

There is no way a mom can be mad when something like that happens...to see your child feeling so bad, and when they are braving an illness so well even though they have no idea what's going on...it just gives me the kind of patience for them that I wish I could maintain everyday in spite of the circumstances.

Ellary is sleeping like a baby now. And I have taken a shower and I am clean once again...

No comments: