Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Michigan Turns


I've been wondering if I should post this or not, and I have decided to due so for several reasons. First, I need to get it off my chest. And secondly, I want to warn anyone who may be visiting Michigan so you can drive safely.

I noticed pretty much right away, as soon as we moved to Michigan, that most drivers DO NOT know how to turn into the correct lane! I learned, and remember very clearly being on the Colorado driving exam, that you turn into the lane closest to you. Many motorists in Michigan are unaware of this law, or Michigan must have different driving standards. For what ever reasons, it makes for some scary driving!
`
So many streets that I drive on any given day are four lanes streets. So, if I take a right hand turn, I pull into the lane on the far right side. Well, many motorists just don't do that. They pull into the left lane and try to zoom around me. I am not so slow that anyone has ever called me a granny driver, so I don't think it is my problem.

Then take for instance that I am taking a left hand turn onto a street with four lanes, two of which are flowing the direction I plan to be going, I should pull into the lane closest to me, the one next to the yellow dividing line. Well, many motorists pull into the far right hand lane. It prevents you from merging over into the right hand lane if you have to make a right hand turn a block later or so later. You have to take the turn fast and then almost gun it or take it slowly so you can get into the far right lane soon after making the left turn. Don't you dare try to take a right hand turn when the on coming traffic has a green light to turn left. You may just find yourselves in a head on collision!

It also makes it scary when there are two lanes turning left and you are in one of them. You never know if the person next to you is going to turn into the correct lane! So, there is your warning. I know it has been a frustrating experience for me, and maybe this tid-bit of information will aid you in driving safely when you are here!

No comments: