Monday, April 13, 2009

The Truth About the Easter Bunny


Kris and I have been talking about buying a treadmill ever since cold weather and time constraints have kept us from exercising as much as we should. So we went to the mall and purchased a treadmill and an elliptical on Saturday. Now instead of sitting our lazy buns on the couch to watch TV at night, we will be able to exercise, watch our favorite programs and still spend time together.

While Kris bought the exercise equipment, I took the girls to see the Easter Bunny in the center of the mall. Kourtney kept exclaimed "I'm going to tell the Easter Bunny that I love him very much!"

When I asked Alyson what she was going to say to the Easter Bunny, she just made her embarrassed face, the one where she pierces her lips together, the corners creeping upward desperately wanting to smile, and bends her head slightly downward. I could tell she thought is was a rather silly questions.

But it was while we were standing in line waiting to see the infamous rabbit that the reality that Alyson is beginning to grow up really hit me. She was staring the Easter Bunny down when she stood on her tippy toes, leaned into me and asked, "Is that just a man in a suit?"

Wow-what was I suppose to say? I hate to lie to the girls. What parent likes to? But hey, we're talking about the Easter Bunny here! Now the question for me was how long was I going to keep lieing about rabbit ears?

I knew the truth couldn't be revealed just yet. Kourtney heard Alyson's inquiry and I couldn't bust her bubble. She would be devastated! So, I did what any parent would have probably done. I lied.

"No. Of course not. That's the Easter Bunny."

But her questions didnt' stop there. "Why doesn't he talk?"

"Do you know of a bunny that talks?"

To my relief, that satisfied the curiosity brewing inside of Alyson. And it was finally our turn to see the bunny. But to my surprise, Kourtney nearly chickened out. I encouraged her to sit on the Easter Bunny's knee and I asked her, "What did you want to tell the Easter Bunny?" She didn't say a word. Ellary waved to the Easter Bunny from my arms, and Alyson just stood on the other side of him as if to say, "Mom, I am too old for this."

It was a rather disappointing experience overall...to discover that your oldest child is decoding the difference between fantasy and reality and will soon know the truth about the "man in the suit."

I can't remember how old I was when I discovered the truth, but after I did, I got to help my older sisters hide the eggs for their children. That was a fun secret that they and I shared. I guess that will be the next step for Aly and then Koco when they discover the truth too...they'll be my little helpers and we'll share an Easter tradition secret!

No comments: