Saturday, September 21, 2013

Jessica's Birthday

I had a wonderful birthday this year. Kris tried to surprise me with a fishing trip to Lake Wisconsin but just several weeks before my birthday I began guessing what he was going to give me. It didn't take long until I nearly guessed correctly. Fishing in Wisconsin has been a bit of a challenge as it's more difficult to fish from the shore because of all the algae. Kris knows just how hard I've tried! Due to this fact alone Kris has me sold on a buying a boat when he is tenured.

So on my birthday he and I drove to Lake Wisconsin to meet a fishing guide. He took us out on his boat and taught us how to fish in Lake Wisconsin. Some of his techniques were a little unconventional to typical fishing. For instance he used little yellow floating blocks with flags on them to help us know when a fish was on our line. It was a very successful technique! Kris will be the first to admit that he doesn't like to fish. But it didn't take long for him to admit that fishing this way out on a boat was something he could get used to.

Then we tried bait fishing by casting our lines just over the edge of the boat making sure the hook reached the bottom of the lake. About 7 hours later we had plenty of fish including white bass and walleye and we didn't even keep them all! That night we had a fish fry for the whole family and then ate Hubbard pie for dessert. What a special treat for Kris to come up with such a fun and thoughtful birthday present for me!

No comments: