Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Alyson's First Day of Kindergarten

Alyson began kindergarten yesterday, and she was so excited! For the past couple of months she's been asking "when is school going to start" and we've been telling her, "very soon." Her enthusiasm for school has been wonderful, and we hope it stays with her for a very long time (at least through college!)
We took pictures of Alyson in the morning, then I walked her to school while Kris took Kourtney and Ellary to the neighborhood playground. Alyson met her teacher, explored her classroom, made a craft, played on the computer and on the playground, and put her extra set of clothes, gym shoes and backpack in a locker she shares with another student in her class. I could see her taking it all in very well, and it eased any fears I had of letting her go.


My mom has been anticipating this day for some time too. She saved the dress I wore my first day to kindergarten then sent it and a picture of me in it to us. I gave the picture to Alyson and she wanted to frame it. We also took pictures of her wearing my dress. She wanted to wear it her first day, but we explained that she should wear her own dress if she wants to save it for her children someday. I promised her she could wear my dress again soon.
So, today marked Alyson's first day all alone-just a half day. She begins going full day tomorrow, and she can't wait because she'll get to have hot lunch. I am glad she's excited about that!

3 comments:

The G-Funk! said...

That's a really cute tradition of keeping the dress from your first day of school. I'll have to remember this one.

KC and DL said...

She is beautiful! Love the vintage pic, very cool.. cute dress too!

Babbel Family said...

Oh my word what a wonderful thing to have. That picture of you is so classic, I love it!