Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ellary's Favortie Song

Little Ellary isn't feeling well today. She was up a lot of the night with a stuffy nose, low grade fever and she has been pulling at her ears. I wish I could provide her instant relief, but she can't be seen by the doctor until tomorrow. So, our happy and very smiley baby isn't so happy or smiley anymore. Ellary has wanted me to hold her most of the day, otherwise she cries, and even then she's been crying some when I hold her.

The only sure solution to get her to stop crying has been playing her favorite song on the piano. It's "If" by the 70's group Bread. I swear she remembers it from when she was in my tummy. It's one of the only songs I can play well on the piano, and "If" happens to also be the only one I know by heart. As you can imagine, I play it almost every time I sit down at the piano. It calms me, and obviously, it calms Ellary too. And although I have a pretty average singing voice, and I'm off key sometimes, she will even calm down when I sing it to her. It makes me smile to think she likes this song as much as I do and she's only 4 1/2 months old. You can click on a video to the right of this blog to hear the song.

"If"

If a picture paints a thousand words,
Then why can't I paint you?
The words will never show the you I've come to know.
If a face could launch a thousand ships,
Then where am I to go?
There's no one home but you,
You're all that's left me too.
And when my love for life is running dry,
You come and pour yourself on me.

If a man could be two places at one time, I'd be with you.
Tomorrow and today, beside you all the way.
If the world should stop revolving spinning slowly down to die,
I'd spend the end with you.
And when the world was through,
Then one by one the stars would all go out,
Then you and I would simply fly away.

No comments: