Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Have you seen these jugs?

Kris has been asking me to post this blog for some time now. So, here it is!

We've actually been using our Sam's Club membership on a regular basis to purchase a variety of things including milk since we moved to East Lansing. I can remember one of our first times back since our rare excursion to Sam's Club in Indiana for diapers when Kourtney was wearing them nearly 2 1/2 years ago.

Here's how it goes. We were towards the tale end of our shopping trip when I remembered we needed milk. So instead of making the whole family return to the refrigerator isles, I went back by myself. I was pleasantly surprised by the price of milk, and decided I'd better get two gallons instead of one, otherwise we'd be back in less than a week. I hurried to catch up with the family balancing these two odd shaped jugs between my arms and my chest. Just before I was about to set them in the cart Kris looked at me kind-of funny and said, "What are those?"

So, I'm asking you all, have you seen these kinds of milk jugs before? If so, please comment on our blog and let us know. They are an odd shape and difficult to pour out of. I also have a feeling it would be almost impossible to drink from them without spilling milk all down the front of your shirt...I'm not speaking from experience of course!

2 comments:

Jenny G said...

I saw these on a morning talk show months ago, but have yet to see them in a store. I'll keep patiently waiting :)

Allee Family Blog said...

The square jug packaging will help retailers significantly reduce resources and materials used to package and transport milk. The square container jug reduces waste compared to the current standard #2 HDPE gallon milk jug which can only be stacked in layers if it’s inside another plastic returnable case or a corrugated box. The square or case-less milk jugs do not require crates or racks for shipping and storage. Instead, the newly designed milk gallon is self stacking because the spout is flatter and each gallon can rest on another during transport, as well as while on display. In a statement Sam’s Club said, “It’s estimated trucks used for shipping from the processor to club can accommodate 9% more milk — 4,704 gallons per truck or approximately 384 more jugs — without any metal racks.” Sam’s Club estimates the new case-less jug will offer consumers a cost savings of 10 to 20 cents.

While the new containers may be a little better for the environment, consumers are confused about how to pour from them.
Sam’s Club is doing in-store demonstrations with free cookies to help consumers learn how to pour from the usual milk jugs.